Social Action Committee for Racial Justice issues ‘White Allies Pledge’
The Social Action Committee for Racial Justice (SACRJ) believes that white people are responsible for individual and institutional racism in this country. Therefore, we are asking white people to take a stand against racism and become publicly engaged in anti-racism activities in all aspects of our society. To that end, the SACRJ has created a White Allies Pledge for all those in our community who are committed to racial equity and justice to sign and to act accordingly. This pledge with the names of those who have signed it will be published in local print and social media in the coming months.
There are three ways to sign the pledge and grant permission for your name to be published:
- Click on this link https://forms.gle/T2a8VkWJiidbsSX87 and complete the consent form.
- Send an email to SACRacialJustice@gmail.com and leave a message with your consent and contact information. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Sign a printed form and return it to SACRJ at Sumner Hall, S. Queen St., Chestertown, MD 21620
We the undersigned …
- Will make a conscious effort to extend courtesy, respect, and kindness to people of color in public spaces. We will also take extra steps to be welcoming and warm toward people of color in predominantly white spaces.
- Recognize that white supremacy is built into the structures and systems of our society and will work to persuade decision making authorities to enact changes in our laws, rules and regulations necessary to dismantle institutionalized systematic racism.
- Will speak up against racism in white spaces and listen deeply to Black voices in mixed spaces.
- Will strive to recognize racial prejudice in our own thinking and behaviors and how being white affords us unearned power and privilege.
- Will use our political and social power to promote Black leadership in all its forms.
- Acknowledge that we do not have all the answers as to how to undo racism and will make a concerted effort to establish and maintain relationships with people of color so that we can achieve a deeper, richer understanding of our shared humanity.
- Will teach children and youth in our circle the importance and value of showing respect and kindness to others, accepting differences, social inclusivity, and equal treatment under the law for all.
- Will advocate for reforms in local policing and school policies and practices to support and protect people of color from unjust and unfair treatment in our community.
- Will use our economic power to hire and promote people of color in our businesses and workplaces and will support businesses owned by people of color.
The Social Action Committee for Racial Justice formed in 2017 in Kent County. We began after a series of Undoing Racism© workshops held on the Eastern Shore by the Peoples’ Institute for Survival and Beyond. The People’s Institute continues to guide our work through 8 anti-racism organizing principles that SACRJ aspires to practice. These include analyzing power, developing leadership, maintaining accountability, and sharing culture. SACRJ is a community effort to learn, grow, and take action against racism in Kent County Maryland. The focus is on identifying systemic racism and taking concrete steps to address inequities.
*The White Allies Pledge is an initiative of the Social Action Committee for Racial Justice executed with the assistance of the Social Concerns Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Universalists of the Chester River.
For Immediate Release
Contact: Philip Dutton / Administrator