The former church location is shown on the 1877 map of Chestertown. Feature Image: Excerpt from T.M. Fowler & Cos’ Birdseye view of Chestertown. The 1868 church is featured in the foreground.

This Week’s Kent County History Question: Where was the original Janes Church located in Chestertown?

A. Fish Street

B. High Street

C. Mill Street

D. Queen Street

The Answer: D. Queen Street.

The original Janes Church, built in 1868 to replace an “African Methodist meeting house,” was located at the foot of Queen Street, however, Princess Street, as that part of Queen Street was once called, is also an acceptable answer. So is Quaker Neck Road, because the road has changed since the church was there. The 1868 building was destroyed by a fire in 1914. Janes Church was then rebuilt at its present location on the corner of Cross and Cannon streets. – Source: Various

Courtesy of the Historical Society of Kent County — The old Janes church on Quaker Neck Road at Queen St. in Chestertown.

The Kent Pilot welcomes Kevin Hemstock, well-known Kent County historical writer and newsman, as a History Quiz Master. We look forward to more of his thought-provoking challenges.

The Kent County History Quiz is a weekly local brainteaser sponsored by The Peoples Bank. Kent County historian and author Joan Horsey and columnist Kate Meehan contribute to the quiz’s development. Our goal is to create an opportunity for local learning and discussion.

Do you have a Kent County history question? Send it to steve@kentpilot.org.